4/05/2007

Fishing #3 --- again fishing but this time from a pier

I was a little nervous about going out on boat from the experience of previous lousy seasick, but this time, our challenge was fishing from the Ocean Beach pier and it was a breeze. I didn't need to worry about being under the weather. Three of my friends and I all were early birds when it came to fun events, and met up at the parking lot at 7 am. Since it was a weekday, most of the people seemed to be professional fishers who sell their catch to the market, and it was interesting that, to say the least, 90% of them looked Asian such as Malaysian and Vietnamese.
It is said that the best fishing time is around sunrise and sunset; the fish's meal time! And it doesn't last that long. However, the school of small fish were often confirmed even after 10 am from the pier.
Though big fish were not expected like the fishing from a boat, we were able to feel fish frequently rising to the bait and it perked us up more and more. The picture is all the small fish I caught and their size is about 6" at the longest. My catch came to 26 :)

Frankly, I am afraid of fish eye and cannot touch them with my bare hands. My partner had been in charge of cutting fish on every occasion until today.
Believing my friend's words saying "fish is just small objects and don't think it's creatures", I tried to cut all on my own using vinyl gloves. This picture shows some of my first-tried 3-piece fillet. Isn't it great for the first try?

I did not eat them raw and these fish were cooked as under.
1. marinated crispy fish with onion & carrot (南蛮漬け)
2. fried fish with Ponzu souce
3. deep-fried fish bone

2 comments:

JUDY said...

Do you like fishing?
I've never ever did it before. In summer, fishing is favorite sport that people usually do.

How many catches did you have? It looked a lot, didn't it?

aRio said...

I did not go ocean fishing in Japan. But I realized it easily could be an addiction. The moment fish take the bait always gets me excited.

Not only can you have great time trying to catch fish, but also the fish you caught pleases you at dinner.Please take my word and try it in a sunny and warm day!!

Last time I cast the fishing line from the pier, so the size of fish was really small although the number of the catch was 26 :)