4/04/2008

Is this a college class??

"My Spanish class is not a Spanish class. It's an English reading class!" Not learning any new phrases or grammar, I kept complaining during the first 2 or 3 weeks this semester. What we do in class is mainly to read "Strange Pilgrims" by Gabriel Garcia Marques, a Colombian author, and discuss various things based on the story(but both in English.) Students are only 12 in total, varying in age from 18 to approx. 60. I thought it was a bit humdrum and maybe I needed a snap judgement to leave it. While I hadn't made up my mind, I missed the deadline to drop the class, and luckily, it has been getting more unique, exhilarating, and maybe a bit inspiring since we've been having some unusual events in class.

1. Birthday Party of Gabriel Garcia Marques

Our teacher prepared a birthday cake beautifully decorated with fresh roses from extraordinary dessert, which I've wanted to try, yet haven't, as well as sparkling cider in a champagne glass. We made a toast for Gabo, the absentee, in class for his 81th birthday.

2. Blindfolded and experienced the scent from the story

We were told to bring a blindfold to class without any explanations. When I arrived at our class, all curtains were already closed, a soothing water sound was playing, and a table big enough for 12 students to sit around was set up. To my surprise, our dean was also invited to the event. What we did was to surround the table blindfolded, be handed the items our teacher prepared one by one, and smell the scent of them. These items were something like roses, coffee, detergent, candle, talcum powder, chocolate and so forth, all related to the story "The Saint," and we all discussed based on the smells. We must have looked some kind of queer religious group. But her aim was just to let us feel the same ambiance in the story.

3. Field trip to Wine Bar
It was a nice wine bar, called "Wet Stone" in downtown. We met up at the spot during the class hours. Though we did not drink wine at wine bar, their food was fabulous and I enjoyed it a lot. We barely used Spanish, but all the time talked about "that "stories.

4. Tuscan food

Our teacher prepared Caprese salad and Ciabatta bread with olives, cheese & red peppers. She wanted us to experience Tuscan, again, the other story "The Ghost of August."

Our teacher is energetic and dedicated, and always lavishes in making the class amusing with her Caribbean sense of humor and hospitality;therefore, other than these special events, we always have something to eat in class, which she calls breakfast. This is not a normal Spanish class, and if I want to improve my Spanish, it's obvious I have to study on my own, yet I took to this class after all these.


No comments: