9/25/2006

Mideastern Night

Muslims around the world are now observing Ramadan. It began on Saturday, Sep 23 this year and lasts for one month. They fast from sunrise to sunset, and neither drink nor eat food.
In the community ESL class that I attend, the teacher and two other students (i.e. everyone except me) are Muslims.
Since we got excited talking about our food, we decided to have a potluck party two days before beginning Ramadan. The dish I prepared was rolled cabbage which was made of beef, Shiitake (a kind of Mushroom) and onion wrapped in cabbage leaves. I also made green-tea cookies. Other dishes were all from their countries, Kurdish, Palestinian and Syrian. They seemed to be familiar with each other's traditional food and only myself looked like an alien. But my teacher loved my food which was similar to what she had made, Dolma.

No comments: