10/06/2006

Japchae

A friend of mine, who is also a study buddy, kindly cooked Japchae for me yesterday! Japchae is a Korean fried noodle with vegetables, and she added shrimp and fish cakes called Oden in Korea. This is just an aside, but what is called Oden in Korea is 'Satsuma-age' (fish cake) in Japan. It's weird... because 'Oden' in Japan is a name of a dish, not an ingredient; but in Korea, all kinds and shapes of Satsuma-age are called 'Oden'.
My favorite part was the chewy noodle made from sweet potato!! Anyway, her Japchae was more than scrumptious. Thank you, MK! you are such a great cook ;)

Meantime, I'm the kind of person who gets very excited about things quickly and moves into action fast. Today, I rushed into Zion Marketplace (Korean Supermarket).
In San Diego where various races exist, you will find the supermarkets from all over the world. It is one of the benefits for those who live here and are curious about other cultures.

Although most of the products in Zion were displayed in Korean character, I could find out what to buy with the help of affable other shoppers. Whenever I was standing in a quandary, they talked to me first in Korean, and then changed to English as soon as they realized that I didn't speak Korean. They helped me out a lot and even advised the brand names to buy!

Let me show you what I got today; noodle for Japchae, powder for Jijimi and other noodle for Raengmyeon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you buy the cold noodle along with noodle for japchae?
My son's favorite is the cold noodle, yet I've never tried to cook it on my own because making its soup stock is laborious work.

Zion market sells various ready-to-eat cold noodles, so you enjoy your meals by just boiling those noodle on oven and pour slightly frozen soup stock into the noodle.

Anyway, I'd like to praise your challenging attitude. Awesome!

aRio said...

Thank you, Mikyong^^
Yes,I tried to cook the cold noodle, but the one I made was not the noodle in soup. It's 'Bi-Bim Naeng Myun'. I just followed the cooking direction printed on the bag. It was okay but I need more practice!!

See ya!