11/03/2006

5th day - Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs

Most of the seeing spots we visited were 15 to 30 min. away from my house, and today, we extended our trip to Joshua Tree National Park. It lies 140 miles east of Los Angeles and 175 miles northeast of San Diego. It took 3 hours driving from SD.
I've read somewhere, maybe on the internet, that once we stepped into this park, we would feel as if we were on another planet. And it was true. It seemed that dinosaurs were about to appear from the behind of rocks.

BTW, can you see a person standing on the top of the rock in above photo? With plenty of not-too-high rocks, this park seemed to be a paradise for rock climbers.

What mesmerized me was the concentrated area of beautiful cactus called 'Cholla Cactus Garden'. It was so cute that I couldn't stop taking pictures. However, when my partner came close to the cactus, he got into hot water. A small piece of cactus was folded down and clung to his right knee. The harder I tried to pull it away, the more it's stuck. We struggled to remove it from his knee at the front of the sign showing "Cactus is hazardous! Keep away from them!"

No comments: