1/15/2007

at Peet's Coffee

It is a Martin Luther King Day today. Schools are closed while companies remain open. Although I was free all day long, I decided to stay away from being busy. I didn't make any appointments, didn't go shopping, didn't see any of my friends, and went to a nearby cafe called Peet's Coffee to read a book alone and relax.

While I was sipping a cup of mocha, an old couple who looked neat in appearance suddenly talked to me. They said that about 30 years ago they lived in Tokyo for 5 years. They seem to have recalled their life in Japan and kept talking about how their experience in Japan was great. Our dialogue provoked another guy, who was a big fan of Japan and visited there several times, to join us. They all looked happy talking about Japan showing me the pictures from Japan trip in the computer. It somewhat made me delighted :)

Come to think of it, while sitting at Peet's Coffee reading a book about two months ago, I met another nice guy who was also fond of Japan, and his daughter & son is taking a Japanese language class at her collage and his high school respectively. I equally felt happy knowing that there were many people striving to be a Japan freak.

And I noticed that, either case, THEY first talked to me upon finding I'm a Japanese.
Even if I were at a cafe in Japan and found someone from a foreign country where I lived or traveled, I still don't know if I'd talk to them.

But isn't it great to encounter some nice people who love "Japan" at such a place as Peet's Coffee where once in a blue moon Japanese people are seen?
Aside from its rich taste of coffee and welcoming atmosphere, the Peet's Coffee has become my cup of tea :)

2 comments:

JUDY said...

A Peet's coffee.
I'd been once in San Diego. Around my house, I could barely see Peet's coffee, yet I found one at the la jolla square village, where was not so far from my house. The taste was better than Star****.^^

So cool to see people who love your country. You must be excited with them. I hope you keep in touch with those who are so interested in yours.

This morning, I went to the library nearby our apartment and got the pass. I am ready to check out all materials:books, DVDs, and videos.

aRio said...

Got a library card? Good for you!
You are getting a person of Denver steadily :)

The other day, I checked out a book, "The Divil wears prada" from a library. But it passed almost 3 weeks without reading it and now I need to renew it.(Thank you for letting me recall)

At the same time, I rented a DVD of it from rental shop and watched it already. (It's enormously classy movie! If you haven't watched it yet, you should..)

But now I don't know if I can finish the book :(