1/18/2007

Utmost Fresh Sashimi

Five valiant house wives, whose minds were filled with a vivid image of "sashimi" for dinner, went fishing together!
In San Diego, obtaining sashimi or raw fish does not require any huge attempt thanks to two big Japanese supermarkets; however, when it comes to "fresh" sashimi, things are different. Our target was "Mackerel (saba)" and "Bonito (Katsuo)" .

Four out of five among us were novice of fishing, but the total number of the angler was only seven today, and two attendants were on board dedicatedly helping us from setting up a rod to cutting a squid for a bait, so we were able to enjoy ourselves and entirely satisfied.

It was no wonder that the baits were alive and full of vigor, and I first feared to put that tiny fish on hook. But by the end of this tour, I got used to pierce a hook on their foreheads. My pity against the brutal work didn't disappear, though. These small fish can be our beautiful dinner if they were deep-fried, can't they?

Only my concern was... as most beginners were worried..."what if I turned to be the only loser??" but it was unnecessary anxiety. Everyone caught enough fish for dinner. I caught six fish, but two of them were out of season which means illegal if I took them away, and one was too small to eat, so there was no other way to release them. Two men released almost all fish they caught and sometimes kindly asked us if we eat them and gave us... :)

I haven't experienced for a long time this sort of pleasure of the moment when the fish bit the bait and pulled the wire.
Although gutting and scaling these fish before eating is a painstaking job, utmost fresh sashimi is luxurious dinner for us living in the U.S.
Knowing this exhilaration, I'm sure I'll come back here for fishing targeting another kind of DINNER.

★Our Today's Count★
14 mackerel (saba)
3 sand bass
2 calico bass
1 bonito (katsuo)
1 sculpin

Seaforth SportsFishing

No comments: