1/30/2007

Lunch style

Bringing lunch box to the office and having it alone at a desk is not a common lunch style in Japan. Some people stick to their wife's hand-made lunch box, yet most of us pick from other options such as company's cafeteria or nearby restaurants. And usually, colleagues flock to go for lunch.
On the other hand, here in San Diego, especially in remoted area like the place of my partner's office, local people seem to prefer to have lunch at their house rather than eating at a cafeteria or restaurant. They rush to their house, have lunch with thier family and hasten back to the office within an hour. Since it is only allowed to those who live near their office, the alternative will be to have an unhealthy burger or some sandwiches at a company's cafeteria, or bring in own lunch box; thus I decided to have my partner take a "lunch box" to hinder him from coming back everyday at lunch time. It's impracticable for me to stay at home all day long.
In the meantime, even tough I have a legitimate reason to remain unemployed, I still feel guilty about staying in an unproductive state, and the fact that I've been preparing my partner's lunch box slightly undermines my feeling of guilt.
These are some of typical Japanese lunch boxes.

First lunch box I've ever made after marriage









Fried shrimp mixed with Mayonnaisee and dried white radish etc.









Marinade octopus and rolled pork etc.









Salmon saikyo(Miso)-flavor and Shinoda-roll etc.









Roasted pork and fried seafood with garlic etc.

2 comments:

JUDY said...

Dear Rico!
Are they home-made lunch boxes?
Unbelievable! What a pretty!
My hasband goes to school every morning and back home around 7:00pm after attending two lectures. For his lunch, just two sandwiches and jams are all.
Some upgraded lunch menus are needed. Ah!

Anyway, I went to the Colorado State Capital Building(?)downtown, but parking lots were all full. So sad!

aRio said...

Thanks judy
Stuffing this box every morning is my only duty now, yet I always hope and ask if my husband have a business lunch with his customers so that I can skip doing this. What a lazy homemaker I am :(