5/18/2007

May I squawk about something?

Our garage door has broken about a month ago. The remote controller went out of order and the controller button installed on the wall didn't work either. But I never imagined it would take such a long time until it's completely fixed.
As soon as I first noticed something wrong with the garage door, I called my landlord and asked him to come check it. They came over the following day to examine it and mentioned they would be back in a few days. Even though my landlord is not a professional electrician, he is versed in electrical work, and in most of the cases, was adept at fixing by himself and wise enough to avoid the expensive cost to hire an electrician . That has been the case up to this time.

As he promised, a few days later, the landlord came with all the equipment and began his work to fix it. In spite of his great amount of effort, however, it ended in vain. He remarked he would find a solution anyway. No matter how I waited for his call, no message reached me, so I impatiently called him to urge, saying how it was causing serious inconvenience for us to live without automatic shutter.

Ten days later, he showed up with a different kind of machine from our current one, which looked somewhat cheap to me. Also he brought his son for help. Despite their three-hour attempt to exchange the machine, it just made the situation worse. Now no response came to the door at all.
Eventually, he hesitantly made up his mind to call for a electrician.

Some days later, the electrician visited my house to see the situation, and concluded that the machine should be replaced to a new one, not to the cheaper one but the same kind as the current one. In the end, he came back today with a new machine and fix it perfectly. It seemed to be a piece of cake which took him only less than 30 min.

When I write this down here in one page, it shows a trivial incident.
Not to mention the time they actually worked at my place and kept me from going out, however, both my landlord and the electrician stood me up one day respectively, from which I was extremely furious about their rudeness. Moreover, I needed to expose my car at a visitor parking space for more than a month, and it was my job to manually open and close the garage door for my partner, since he cherishes his car and desired to continue to park it in a garage.

It had little bearing on their competence of fixing it; nevertheless their reluctant mind and low motivation prolonged their job. If it has happened in Japan, it won't take more than two days until it's fixed. Ah... sigh...

Lastly, there is one thing I have to express my thanks to them. They gave me chance to stay at home and that's one of the reasons I did update my blog this often lately ;)