5/21/2007

Shopping Paradise?

"Las Americas" is one of the outlet malls in San Diego, which locates adjacent to the U.S. and Mexico border, and it is a 40-min driving from our house. The freeway I-5 enable us to reach all the way to the border, but shortly before passing it by - to be accurate, at the last exit in the U.S. side - we have to get off the freeway. Due to the proximity, most of the shoppers and the clerks look Mexican, and more than 90 percent of the conversations we could hear in this area is Spanish.

It was last Sunday that I visited Las Americas for the first time. What excited me was not only Spanish conversations I overheard, but we were also able to look over the scenery of Tijuana from the parking lot of the mall. Not everyone is strung up about thinking of Mexico, but I am. I regretted myself not having taken even a single photo of Tijuana. It must have been a good picture to put up here....

Despite the fact that we've got the information through my partner's coworker that the outlet mall was for the birds and nothing to attract us, my eager to buy shoes led us to this place, and it turned out pretty lovely to me. We initially visited there just to see what it was like. I'm really greedy when it comes to the touristic places, and preferably wanted to find a nice pair of shoes for the wedding party on the coming weekend.

Contrary to our mere expectation, the outlet mall satisfied us with a lot of appealing prices with quite a few of discount. I found a nice pair of mules from Hush Puppies store for $20. (Not $200) The price showed $39 and it was not until I signed my credit card that I perceived the mules were further discounted . Moreover, my partner got a luck in the same way I did. He was supposed to pay pleasantly $80 for the jacket he liked, that was 40% off the price, and he regarded it was a bargain at the moment. At the check out counter, however, he was charged only $30, which was somehow discounted more than that. Furthermore, all the products from "Bath & Body Works" were 70% discounted and such.
The original prices in general are not that expensive throughout the U.S., especially compared to Japan, and I, almost every week, enjoy shopping even at original prices, let alone outlet prices!!

No comments: