5/22/2007

What I am studying

articulate, acquiesce, diffident, laconic, subjugate
delineating, conciliatory, scanty, belittle, bombastic


Above are the words I learned in my ESL class yesterday. I sometimes wonder if these words are truly useful and worth memorizing. Can these be understood by even native speakers? Since I seldom encounter these words anywhere, I am being a bit weak and skeptical. Maybe, there should be plenty of other words that I should retain before these. Having said that, it helps me stretch my knowledge at any rate.
The following is the story I wrote using these 10 words during the class, for which my teacher gave us approx. 30-40 minutes.

===============
Not everyone feels comfortable to deliver an articulate speech in their native tongue, let alone in English. To be acquiesced by the audience, however, there are some tips for speakers.

First, they have to look like they are confident and persuasive. Even though the trait that they have is diffident and laconic when it comes to speaking in public, showing it to the listeners will be a big loss.The speakers are expected to subjugate the whole lecture or presentation.

Secondly,
delineating what is going to be said in the speech at the very first stage is significant. It helps speakers look conciliatory, and at the same time, diminish the insufficient feeling of the audience which might be caused by scanty information or poor explanations.

Lastly, if the speech has to be done in a foreign language, what we have to think about is not the language itself. No matter how little confidence they have in the language, what they have to do is convey the message. The straightforward message that speakers have in their mind is what counts.


To sum up, by following all the advice mentioned above, speakers will be succeed. Audiences do not come to your speech, in most of the cases, in order to
belittle you or give bombastic criticism, but come to listen to what they are interested in, so, be confident!
===============

2 comments:

JUDY said...

What a big word!

You still seem to learn a lot from the ESL school, whereas I began to lose my passon for English since I've nerver enrolled in any ELS school here.

I am so often struggling for speaking with even small English words, not to speak of big words that you've learned.

Your blog gives me very useful words. So wonderful!

aRio said...

Hi judy!!
Yes, these are such big words that I cannot remember and retain in my brain :(

I'm sure you are, rather than struggling to speak, adventurously trying every phrase that you newly learned and enjoying your improvement :)