9/13/2007

Parking circumstance

Unlike parking in Japan, in most cases in San Diego, we do not have to worry about finding a parking space. We can park at any streets unless the curb is colored in red, green or white, or it indicates special signs. Furthermore, because of the recent expansion of malls, we have plenty of parking spaces surrounded by stores which keep us even from concerning about our parking skills. But when it comes to parking in down town where there is incessant traffic, the things are different. We habitually have to compete with others for a space, being cautious not to wander the wrong way to the narrow one-way streets.

The other day two days in a row, I had an inevitable chores which obliged me to drive to San Diego down town and park in the center of down town. The first day, when I was trying to plunge my car into a tiny space, a young guy came to me saying that his parked space would be open and 40 more minutes were remained in the meter so that I could use it. What a gentleman he was!! Instead of just leaving his space, he came to me all the way just to say it. With the reluctant chore that I had to handle later, I was in a somber mood, but this guy made my day.

The next day, I was a bit concerned if I could find a parking space. When I arrived at the area I parked the day before, an African American guy who neatly stood 100 yd away waved me pointing out an open parking space. I mumbled myself that another nice guy appeared! When all the San Diego guys became so courteous?

I did not notice, however, until I parked and rushed out of the car that the guy was expecting me come out. When I thanked him and was about to leave, he grinned and murmured, "what about a homeless tip? This is my job to find a parking space for people." Oh, there you are! Not every guy was I-will-find-you-a-space-for-free guy. We cannot forget that this is a tip society. I, thanking him for his freelance work, gave him a dollar. "If it's expired, I will add more coins!" he stated. I returned to my car, unfortunately, to find the meter was expired :(

No comments: