6/20/2008

Rolls

When Americans say "I love sushi," it means, "I love rolls." Today, California roll and other kinds of rolls can be seen everywhere, such as in supermarkets or food courts in malls, and people eat them as lunch or snacks, using chopsticks. As Japanese, it is amazing to hear all the acclaims by old and young folks, saying they love sushi, and also I feel proud to be asked which restaurant we like to go.
Furthermore, one of my friend's son was commented on his home-made lunch with envy by an American classmate, who said, "I'm jealous because your lunch is always sushi." It was not exactly sushi but rice ball (onigiri) though.....

Speaking of sushi, the most famous sushi restaurant in San Diego is "Sushi Ota." Ichiro, a Japanese outfielder for Seattle Mariners, seems to be visiting "Sushi Ota" whenever he comes to play at Petco Park, and for that reason, it is known as the best sushi restaurant here in San Diego. Other than Ota, there are a few authentic sushi bars in San Diego, as well as abundant of Korean-owned sushi restaurants.

Today, one of my friends and I ventured our lunch at Korean-owned restaurant named Nozomi. What I ordered was Spicy Tuna Roll, which seemed to be pretty popular since I see it everywhere, even in Sushi Ota. Its ingredients are some tuna mixed with mayonnaise and chili pepper, cucumbers, seaweed, rice, and salmon on top. Salmon is my favorite, so this roll satisfied me :) On the other hand, the one my friend ordered was weird. The Caterpillar. As its name shows, it looked like an odd caterpillar. The inside were cream cheese, burdock(gobo), cucumber, seaweed, rice, and avocado on top. We cannot count them as sushi, but as a new category of cuisine, they were acceptable. Our lunch, on the whole, was worth trying.

No comments: