6/19/2008

SATC

Watching movies is my favorite pastime;as long as it involves either love or moving scenes, I can enjoy it. Sex and the City, however, is not just a movie that I will choose for fun. It's more than that I have been longing for.

Today, four of nubile girls including myself marched into the theater, just like four protagonists in SATC, wearing not New Yorker's ostentatious dresses but Californian casual outfits such as T-shirts and flip-flops.

Frankly, I loved it. I just loved without any specific reasons. But during the first half of the story, I had been sort of shocked by the fact that most of the actors got old after four years of leave and all they got I thought were wrinkles above their upper lips and around eyes. Moreover, Carrie's "Big" seemed a little ordinary old man with a double chin. Unlike a small TV screen, on which they flamboyantly flourished four years ago, a large screen helped their tiny flaws like spots or winkles stand out.

Not until it's released in Japan, would I state anything about the story.
But interestingly, two of my friends stayed cool while I had been with tears in my eyes for almost an entire story. It might be a melancholic feeling that sprang up and made me feel so emotional, arousing my memories from each story on the TV show. Every single scene from the movie seemed to have some connection to the TV show, which has subtle but significant meanings. It means those who did not watch the TV show might not be able to enjoy the movie, though it introduces a plot a little bit in the beginning.

Contrary to various negative reviews that I read before, the movie version of SATC has attracted me just like the TV show did. If you enjoyed the TV show, you'd love the movie, for certain.

No comments: